INclusive Health And wellBeing In small and medium size ciTies (IN-HABIT) is an EU Horizon 2020 project that aims to identify visionary and integrated solutions to promote inclusive health and wellbeing in small and medium-sized cities. In each of the four pilot cities, the project will investigate how the mobilisation of existing undervalued resources, such as culture and heritage, food, human-animal bonds, and art and environment, might contribute to boosting health and wellbeing, with a focus on gender, diversity, equity and inclusion.
• More than 80% of the European population will live in urban areas by 2030.
• In Europe, 65% of the urban population lives in cities with fewer than 500,000 inhabitants.
• SMSCs face bigger problems with accessing research and innovation (R&I) and attracting and mobilising resources.
• Cities are essential players in the transition towards a sustainable society.
• Health and wellbeing are specific urban development dimensions.
• COVID-19 opens up new challenges and new research avenues.